Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Managing Faith: Lenten Sacrifices

Let's talk about Lent. I always struggle with what to do during Lent, what sacrifice to make. I think people assume that "sacrifice" means giving up something. But if you add an hour of community service to your week, that's a sacrifice too. It can be an addition or a subtraction.

The best thing I've ever done during Lent is adding flossing to my daily regimen back in my freshman year of college. It was something I had been meaning to do, but as you know, if you don't get in the habit of flossing, you don't ever do it on a regular basis. Lent provided set amount of time for me to get in that habit. And it worked. I've flossed every day since, and my gums are quite healthy.

Alas, that was perhaps my last truly successful Lent. Today's the day to decide what I'm doing this year, and I'm still struggling. I want something personally meaningful and possibly lasting after Lent, a permanent improvement, a permanent act of prayer. One thing I'd like to do is add 10 minutes of meditation to every day...that could be what I decide. My grandmother suggested that I say hi to everyone I see every day of Lent, another good idea. What are other people doing for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment