Thursday, January 15, 2009

Damocles' Sword


"Greek legend tells of Damocles, a poor courtier who envied the life of Emperor Dyonisius II of Syracuse. Damocles felt that the ruler was fortunate to have so much authority and power and flattered him excessively for what his prosperity. Then Dyonisus, noting the courtier's jealousy, offered to switch places with him so that he could taste that fortune first hand. Thinking himself quite privileged, Damocles agreed enthusiastically. In the evening a banquet was held, where Damocles reveled in wearing the royal robes and being waited upon like a king. Only at the end of the meal did he look up and notice a sharpened sword hanging by a single horsehair directly above his head. Suddenly seeing the entirety of the position, he lost his taste for rich foods on his plate and the power of his seat, and hurried away from the throne to return to a less precarious life."

Sometimes it feels as though I am sitting in Damocles' throne on top of the world and I hardly know what to do. Here at the university, I am lucky and grateful to have some of the best education and support a society can give, and yet there are moments when I feel terrified by the sharp responsibility of sitting on this perch. Suddenly my banquet of books, professors, skills and opportunities takes on a more serious taste. But I can't run away from my throne or my sword; unlike Damocles who was only sitting in for the Emperor, I have to work with the life I've been given and somehow meet the demand inherent in privilege.

What does it mean to live in a wealthy country, come from a supportive family, or attend a university? I don't think it means that God is waiting to drop a sword on me - that doesn't resonate with my understanding of a loving God - but I do think it means I would be a fool not to recognize that the luxurious banquet table is a precarious place. I would be a fool not to take every chance I get to hop off the throne and help someone who doesn't have a table spread with opportunities. Today somebody did that for me, and it was amazing to see a person take leave of her comfort when she could have so easily stayed situated.

This morning, I had to go to the Cardinal Rigali Center about seven miles south of here to take the 'Protecting God's Children' workshop that is required for anyone who wants to volunteer at a Catholic school. I don't have a car, so I biked there from my apartment, which normally wouldn't have been a problem except that it was so extremely cold today and I lost my mittens a few days ago. The temperature was hovering around zero this morning, and by the time I got to the Center, I was so cold that I was feeling really nauseous and my fingers felt like they were dying. Even at the end of the workshop, I was still so cold that I couldn't stop shaking and I sat there dreading the freezing ride back to campus.

But afterwards, the woman who'd given the workshop came up to me and offered to drive me back to wherever I needed to go. She must have seen me arrive by bike and felt sorry for me. In any case, I was very grateful and totally amazed that she would make such a generous offer. She worked at the Center and had no reason to drive north. She had a warm office. She could have stayed quite comfortably indoors and gotten her work done. But she kindly and generously left her banquet table of warmth to drive me and my bike back to Washington University. I was back in time for class, with all my fingers, too!

Perhaps this is what the Christian is supposed to do in Damocles' situation. We neither sit at our royal banquets reveling in the comfort, nor run away from the good things we have been given. But we can use what we have to help someone who is not wealthy in that particular way. People who have cars can help those who don't. People who benefit from good educations can help those who can't. People who were lucky enough to start life on top can lift up those who weren't.

"Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more" (Luke: 12: 48).

~Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment