Monday, January 19, 2009

Managing Faith: The Visibility of Giving

I have a distinct memory from my childhood regarding emptying the dishwasher. Each of us kids had specific chores we had to complete each week, and one of them was drying the tops of the dishes and putting them away. During the week in question, my chore was not the dishwasher. Despite that, one night when I was up late studying, I decided to do a random act of kindness and empty the dishwasher. I was especially pleased with the act because I swore to myself not to tell anyone--it would be a true gift, one given without the hopeful caveat of wanting to be thanked.

The next day, I prepared a secret smile for the moment that my sibling noticed that the dishwasher had already been emptied. But not only did my sibling not say anything, he didn't even seem to notice.

"No problem," I told myself. "You decided to empty the dishwasher anonymously. It's not as good of a gift if you don't take credit for it."

But I was a kid, so of course I caved soon after and casually dropped into conversation the fact that I had emptied the dishwasher. I felt much better after everyone knew that I had gone out of my way to do something for my sibling.

The lesson here: It's human nature to take credit for your gifts. I don't think it detracts from the gift itself. In fact, by revealing your identity, you give others the opportunity to put a face, a name, to giving. You encourage the act of giving.

It's based on this premise that this past Sunday, the CSC made available laminated cards that say, "I gave on ParishPay this week." There are 60 people/couples in the community who choose to give to the CSC online on ParishPay every week instead of dropping money in the collection basket. Now they can put the laminated cards in the basket every week that they too are contributing to the CSC. The cards give faces and names to those who otherwise give anonymously every week.

We all have gifts. Whether they're helping someone with a small chore or giving tithe to an organization you care about, your gifts show that there are people out there willing to make a difference. Let's show them to the world.

1 comment:

  1. Beware of practising your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven. So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

    ReplyDelete